There are currently over 170 international schools in Malaysia today. Each international school is unique in terms of their offerings such as the type of the curriculum followed. The British Curriculum is by far the most popular curriculum offered by international schools in Malaysia. However, it is common for international schools to offer more than one curriculum and academic qualification. For example, a school may offer the American Curriculum up until secondary school level and the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme at pre- university level. The range of international curricula offered in Malaysia is wide, with over ten curricula and examinations in total.
The International Baccalaureate, also commonly known as the IB, is a comprehensive curriculum that is taught in more than 150 countries all across the world. The International Baccalaureate Organisation states that they are aiming to create a better, more peaceful world by teaching students to think more critically and independently, and how to inquire with care and logic.
Important facts about the International Baccalaureate in Malaysia:
• The four programmes that are offered by the IB Programme are the Primary Years Programme (PYP), from ages three to 12, the Middle Years Programme (MYP), from age 11 to 16, the Diploma Programme (DP), from age 16 to 19, and the Careers-Related Programme, from age 16 to 19.
• The curriculum framework of the PYP is planned around themes that connect academic subjects to the real world.
• There are eight subject groups in the MYP which are Language Acquisition, Language & Literature, Individuals & Societies, Sciences, Mathematics, Arts, Physical & Health Education, and Design.
• In addition to studying six courses, students need to successfully complete three core elements in the IBDP in order to graduate — Theory of Knowledge, Extended Essay and Creativity, Activity and Service.
• Students do not need to have completed the PYP and MYP in order to study for the IB Diploma.
The search results below lists down the international schools in Malaysia offering the International Baccalaureate Curriculum! Find the right international school for your child today.