There are currently over 170 international schools in Malaysia today. Each international school is unique in terms of their offerings such as the type of the curriculum followed. The British Curriculum is by far the most popular curriculum offered by international schools in Malaysia. However, it is common for international schools to offer more than one curriculum and academic qualification. For example, a school may offer the American Curriculum up until secondary school level and the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme at pre- university level. The range of international curricula offered in Malaysia is wide, with over ten curricula and examinations in total.
The American Curriculum is a rigorous, standards-based system that aims to educate the whole child. Within the United States, each individual state maintains the right to deliver standards of its choosing, relevant to the state and region. American schools abroad do not have the authority to accredit their educational programs, therefore the curriculum must be accredited in the United States by one of the six accreditation authorities. These authorities include the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSACS), and Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
Important facts about the American Curriculum in Malaysia:
• The American Curriculum have a syllabus that is rooted in the standards introduced by accreditation bodies such as the Common Core State Standards or the AERO Common Core Plus Standards for American international schools.
• The American Curriculum is divided into three stages: Elementary School (Kindergarten to Grade 5), Middle School (Grade 6 to Grade 8) and High School (Grade 9 to Grade 12).
• The core subjects in the American Curriculum are English language, arts, mathematics, science and social studies.
• The academic year at American schools is divided into two semesters where credits are accumulated each semester.
• After completing all required credits, students earn an American High School Diploma that can take them to leading universities around the world.
• American schools also often offer Advanced Placement (AP) courses to provide students with university-level academic courses.
The search results below lists down the international schools in Malaysia offering the American Curriculum! Find the right international school for your child today.