There are currently over 170 international schools in Malaysia today. Each international school is unique in terms of their offerings such as the type of the curriculum followed. The British Curriculum is by far the most popular curriculum offered by international schools in Malaysia. However, it is common for international schools to offer more than one curriculum and academic qualification. For example, a school may offer the American Curriculum up until secondary school level and the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme at pre- university level. The range of international curricula offered in Malaysia is wide, with over ten curricula and examinations in total.
The International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) is based on the British curriculum (GCSE) but it is adapted more to the internationally-focused student-body. This curriculum is mainly examination-based and is assessed through the examination board chosen by the school. The most well-known are the Cambridge Assessment International Education and Edexcel.
Important facts about the IGCSE in Malaysia:
• The IGCSE encompasses over 70 subjects which also includes 30 languages it aims to be as inclusive as possible to students from a wide range and variety of linguistic backgrounds.
• The world’s most popular international qualification choice for students aged 14 to 16-years-olds.
• The IGCSE Curriculum allows students to take a minimum of five subjects and a maximum of 14 subjects with its “core” curriculum to consist of a First Language,
Second Language, Mathematics, and one or more subjects in the area of science.
• The IGCSE examinations are carried out twice a year in May and October. Each subject is graded from A* to G, with A* being the highest grade.
• In 2018, Cambridge Assessment International Education announced the addition of IGCSE First Language Malay to their list of subjects.
The search results below lists down the international schools in Malaysia offering the IGCSE Curriculum! Find the right international school for your child today.